Friday, March 06, 2009

Tragic

This morning at work, while I was going through my rundown marking camera shots, I came across the kind of sad story that I've been dreading for many years now. Granted, this is not as earth-shattering as if it were somebody closer to me, like my husband ... but still sad nonetheless.

There on the rundown I saw the slugline which said simply, "Peter Tork."

"Oh no," I said. "No, no, no, no ... "

I fumbled with the mouse trying to double-click on the line to bring up the story. I quickly scanned it for the bad news, and then breathed a sigh of relief - it wasn't as bad as I thought, but still bad.

Peter Tork has been diagnosed with a rare form of head and neck cancer. Apparently though, so the story goes, the prognosis is "good". Not sure what that means, but okay, I'll take that.

I used to be a HUGE fan of the Monkees. Actually that is a glaring understatement. I probably should have been locked-up in a padded cell, and no doubt many people wanted to do just that to me back then, but I was literally psycho-crazy for them once upon a time. My BFF Denise and I were partners in crime scoping out which hotel they were staying at, hoping to get a picture (the "trophy" if ever there was one) and autographs ... and anything else we could get our hands on! We followed them through Michigan, Ohio, and I went all the way to Los Angeles in the summer of 1989 to see them get their star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame ... July, 1989, holy cow. I just found a YouTube video of that event (not a very good one, I didn't listen to it with the sound up either) - I CANNOT believe that's been 20 years!!!



... I could go on and on. Lucky for you dear reader, I am getting cut short to go back to work ...

No comments:

Post a Comment