Wednesday, July 29, 2009

World Footbag (Hacky Sack) Week


This final week of July not only takes us into the beginning of August, it also reminds us to hug a hacky sack player. And after watching the video, you may want to do not only that but pick up a footbag yourself. (What sucks is, I found the video above AFTER writing this whole post. Like, I was done writing this thing; then I found the video. After watching it, I would have posted JUST that video had I found it first, because it sums it up so well. Oh well. So you, dear reader, get the video and all my hard work.)

In researching for today's blog post I must admit, this isn't the most exciting thing to me. It doesn't seem (on the surface anyway) that the Footbag community itself is paying much attention to this event either (click on the picture to be taken to the website).
Honestly the couple-few videos I watched weren't terribly interesting, mainly because the biggest source of movement is the person and it's kind of hard to follow the footbag they're kicking around. The editing is cool; I think hacky sack is one of those things that is more interesting when you're watching it live or doing it yourself.

I remember the first time I ever heard of hacky sack. I was in high school and some boys were kicking one around. I went to a country day school - Maumee Valley Country Day School to be exact. I think I might have even persuaded my mom to buy me one, but it didn't stick for whatever reason. Which makes me have even more respect for the hacky sack chick in the video above.

2 comments:

  1. You really need to watch this:

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=aActEgxEcJE

    It's Vasek Klouda (current World Champ) winning this years World Championships in Berlin. This is the state-of-the-art in freestyle footbag.

    Also, for the record, Caro is the name of the person "shredding" in the video you posted above. She's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just watched it - wow! Fantastic! Thanks for sharing and thanks for the feedback. :)

    ReplyDelete