Friday, July 31, 2009

System Administrator Appreciation Day


Wow, I'm posting this kinda late. I guess people on the West Coast who might see this can still benefit, especially in Hawaii.

Today is the day to show your IT (Information Technology) person some love. I'm not talkin' cake, although I'm sure they'd appreciate that too; I'm telling you what these men and women want is some love. If you're single and have had your eye on one, here's your perfect opportunity to ask him/her out! Typically these people are mushy, old-fashioned romantics. I guess it balances out the futuristic inclination they have with the computers, not to mention how frickin' smart they are. Believe me, you will not be disappointed dating a sysadmin - I know, because I am married to one. And also believe me, I show him my appreciation for all he does, wink, wink, nudge, nudge. ;)

Other than my hubby, I want to give a shout-out to the IT personnel I work with who are so very, very awesome: Steve Vermilye; Lew VanVlymen; Samantha Howard; Ian Clayton. I might be forgetting someone, but I think that covers them all. Every last one of them ALWAYS has the answer to the question, or if they don't they work their tails off finding the answer, not to mention the countless times they've been awoken at odd hours because of the work we do, and/or had to come in to work on the weekend at those odd hours in order to get us up and running again. I can't look at the racks of computers in master control at work and not be in awe, and I think of the men and woman who keep it all running. Just standing near them makes me feel ... smarter, somehow.

Here is one, tiny example of why today is possibly one of the most important days on the calendar (from the homepage of the website):
A sysadmin installed the routers, laid the cables, configured the networks, set up the firewalls, and watched and guided the traffic for each hop of the network that runs over copper, fiber optic glass, and even the air itself to bring the Internet to your computer. All to make sure the webpage found its way from the server to your computer.
There's more of the sysadmin's amazing abilities to be wowed by(no I'm not being sarcastic, it really is amazing what they do), just click on the picture above to be taken to the website. You should check it out; and be much more appreciative of your resident System Administrator.


No comments:

Post a Comment