Sunday, July 26, 2009

Stargate: Atlantis, Blondie and a jet-powered wheelchair

Well, nothing to celebrate today specifically, although there are still month-long celebrations:
  • International Blondie and Deborah Harry month (that's kinda cool);
  • National Ice Cream Month - oh yeah;
  • National Wheelchair Beautification Month ... who knew?;
  • National Make a Difference to Children Month;
  • Hemochromatosis Screening Awareness month (that's a mouthful, shees) - "People with Hemochromatosis absorb extra amounts of iron from the daily diet. The human body cannot rid itself of extra iron. Over time these excesses build up in major organs ... If the extra iron is not removed these organs can become diseased. Untreated hemochromatosis can become fatal." - from the website; and
  • National Child-Centered Divorce Month, among other things.
But what I wanted to use today's post to talk about is how Glenn and I have gotten back into watching Stargate:Atlantis again. We started watching it when we had a satellite dish at the house we lived in a year ago; it was nice, because we could DVR it and then watch them whenever we wanted. That was a very nice little amenity.

However, we had to move and leave the nice Dish hookup behind and go back to plain ol' vanilla Comcast, and we were unable to get the next season of Atlantis because it was not on DVD yet (we were watching the re-runs on Sci-Fi channel). That was about the time we got into watching a bunch of other TV shows on Netflix, beginning with Sliders (ugh, not my favorite TV series); followed by Jericho, a fantastically awesome, awesome show which I've blogged about before just a couple of months ago in fact; then Jeremiah, starring Luke Perry and Malcolm Jamal-Warner, and which took me a looooong time to get into - but once I did I loved it; and somewhere in there we got into the new BBC series, Doctor Who - oh my goodness, that show swept us both off our feet! I've blogged about that one before too, although it was just a single episode, not the series as a whole. I miss watching Doctor Who; we left that one without finishing the series, and we were supposed to start watching Torchwood! Almost forgot about that, that will be coooooool ... but I digress.

Well, each of those TV series has it's own flavor, it's own personality, and it's own reasons for loving it. None of those shows however measures up to the Stargate legacy, and I got reminded of that when we began watching Stargate:Atlantis again this week. Holy Moses ... I remembered how bitterly disappointing it was to go from watching Atlantis to Sliders (oh, for me it was painful, I know there are many fans of that show out there, but it ain't Stargate). Even losing one of the main stars, Dr. Elizabeth Weir, played by the enigmatic Torri Higginson, and the show is still mind-blowingly great.
So we are now on a track to finish watching the Atlantis installment. I just don't know what I'll do after it all ends because production on Atlantis finished a long time ago. Hopefully Torchwood will prove a worthy player on this stage of small-screen entertainment ... Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis however will always stand eminently in my mind as one of the greatest television productions of all time by which all other shows shall be measured.

2 comments: