Friday, June 19, 2009

Amnesty

I support the right to have free speech. A journalist or a protestor should have the right to express their views and opinions freely without fear of being locked up in prison and abused. The stories of Roxana Saberi who was recently released from prison in Iran, and now the 2 journalists who were sentenced to over a decade of hard labor in North Korea because they were reporting on abuse against women there. The N. Korean government didn't like what they had to say, so instead of inviting them to an open dialogue in order to reach a compromise, they had them captured, locked up, and threw away the key.

I feel so helpless to situations like that, but there is something I've discovered I can do. Voice my opposition against those governments who treat their citizens like that. And so I'd like to use my blog to declare that I stand in full support of the effort to free journalists Euna Lee and Laura Ling.

Along the way to researching some information for this blog post I stumbled across a musician by the name of Chad Stokes. I think I have totally, utterly fallen in love:



Turns out he is quite the social and political reformer and I totally applaud his efforts, most recently for teaming up with Amnesty Int'l. for a teach-in on Women's Human Rights. Yeah, Chad Stokes has my vote, all the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment