Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Sche-dueling (a vent session)

I am growing more and more disheartened by the business of my weekday schedule at work. I estimated that I have 5 hours from the time my work shift ends until I have to lay down in my bed for slumber to do everything I need to do and get the amount of sleep I need. Now I don't know if I got too ambitious yesterday or if I just need to give myself time to get used to being on the five-day schedule again or what, but I did not get the 7 hours of sleep I was shooting for ... then again, it's not a typical 5-day schedule either. In fact, more and more I'm reaching the conclusion that this particular version of the 5-day schedule is worse than a typical one. Now ... now I know why the folks at work hate it so much.

Saturday and Sunday I only work 6.5 hours, which means I have to make up 3 hours during the week. Guess where those 3 hours go? One extra hour tacked onto my 8-hour days, to turn what is essentially a 9-hour day (counting my break period) into a 10-hour day. That's why I feel like I don't have enough time between shifts to do what I need to do - because I don't! When you factor in drive time (which in practice is not actually all that long) and grocery store trips, it cuts down that time even more. Guess I'll have to make sure to do grocery shopping on the shorter days and/or my weekend.

Okay, I feel better now. Actually now that I've got it written down like this, now it presents to me more of a challenge rather than a burden. I like challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment