Sunday, June 17, 2007

Father's Day, 2007

My father is dead now; he died on March 19, 2001. He missed the events of September 11th that year - thank God for small favors. Although I dearly wish he was still around ... I very much wish he was still around. I haven't met a father yet who even remotely compares to my own father. That's how great of a father he was.

Don't get me wrong, he definitely had his bad side. We all do. But he was unwavering in his faith to my mother. He really lived the whole "through good times and bad, in sickness and in health, til death do us part". No matter how bad it got between them - and in all fairness, I never witnessed it get really bad - there was never talk of divorce or separation. They stayed together through it all. I give both my parents a lot of credit for that. And I am extremely lucky to be married to a guy with the same sense of commitment to me!

I'm still getting to know my father-in-law. He is similar to my dad in some ways, vastly different in others. He is quite young, only in his 50s. My dad, who passed away more than 6 years ago, was 79 when he died. In my opinion my dad was much wiser when he died than my father-in-law is now, but my dad wasn't always so wise. He was in his 50s once too. Both dads strive to teach us, their children, which mistakes to avoid making, mainly those of the financial kind.

And both dads, be not mistaken, love their children very, very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment